Home | Services | Obituaries | About Us | Local Information | Staff | Plan Ahead | Merchandise | Contact Us
Where history, elegance and dignity bring comfort and healing at your time of need.

Time Line

1826 - Benefit lottery donates land to Robert Caruthers

1828 - Home built on the land by the same builder that created The Hermitage

1841-43 - Mr. Caruthers serves as a member of congress

1847 - Founded Cumberland University

1863 - Elected Governor of Tennessee, but never inaugurated.

1938 - Property sells to Horace Ligon and Alex Bobo
.
1948 - Chapel built on premises

1993 - The Bobo family transfers ownership to David Brooks and Clark McKinney
 
~ About Us~
 
 

In 1826, a lottery was held in Lebanon for the benefit of Dr. Samuel Hogg. The winning ticket was held by Robert Looney Caruthers.He had moved to Lebanon after he received his license to practice law in 1824.


Robert Caruthers

Caruthers acquired the services of Henry Reiff, a native of Wilson County, to design and build his home on the land he had won. Reiff had just recently built The Hermitage, the home of President Andrew Jackson. Mrs. Caruthers was a niece of Mrs. Jackson. The home, which is the main part of our funeral home, was completed in 1828.

Robert Looney Caruthers was born in Smith County, Tennessee. In 1827, he was commissioned by Governor Sam Houston as the State's attorney for the Lebanon Circuit. He represented Wilson County in the State Legislature, and was a member of Congress from 1841 to 1843. In 1852 he was appointed to succeed Judge Nathan Green as a sitting Justice of the Supreme Court of Tennessee. He was a delegate to the peace conference of 1861 and a member of the Provisional Congress of the Confederate States. Judge Caruthers was elected Governor of Tennessee in 1863, however he was never inaugurated, due to the fact that Tennessee was occupied by Union forces. The Cumberland University Law School was founded in his law office in 1847, when he and his brother, Abraham, organized it with seven students. He was the first President of the Board of Trustees and was professor of law at Cumberland from the time the school was reopened following the War Between the States until his death in 1882.

In 1938, following a succession of owners, the property was sold to Mr. Charles Horace Ligon and Alex and Vera Bobo. At that time, they moved their funeral business into our present facility. In 1948, they built the chapel so families could have services here rather than in the home. In November 1993, the Bobo family sold the property to David Brooks and Clark McKinney. Since that time, we have renovated the entire facility. We offer spacious, comfortable surroundings, tastefully decorated to provide a homelike atmosphere.

 






 
     
 
Home | Obituaries| Services | Our Staff | History | Facility | Plan Ahead | Nave | Fiddlers Grove | Local Information | Merchandise | Contact Us

© Copyright 2011 Ligon & Bobo Funeral Home, Inc
Website Development by: Butterfly Hollow Design